SCENE 9 - Chalice Catacombs

SCENE 9: Chalice Catacombs
By Gamekeeper Fbaff on Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at 21:28

Having been hired by Jasper the Scholar and his friend Garm, accompanied by Lana the barmaid, a party of foolhardy adventurers consisting of a Dwarf, Thurgrimm the Madd and the rogue Dalias, have followed a pathetically outdated map deep into the catacombs beneath the township of Chalice, seeking a precious mythological artifact called the Chalice after which the town has taken its name.

This scene continues directly from SCENE 7: Pilgrims Roost.

Jasper is lowered first down a hole made by Thurgrim, followed by Dalias, Lana, Garm, and finally Thurgrimm.It is obvious by the design of the lower tunnel that it is the same one you were in previously, from the basement of the inn.

In one direction the tunnel is blocked by a landfill. There are three more bricked in archways in the walls between that and the hole you have descended. None of them are on Jasper’s new map.

In the other direction, the tunnel turns to the left at a 45 degree angle and begins sloping gently downward although the ceiling does not. This comes as a relief to the humans who can stop stooping now. Twenty yards further along, there is a thick wooden double door with large round brass handles, built into a solid stone archway that stands a foot into the tunnel.

“Hey Jasper” says Garm. “I don’t remember seeing this on your map, either.”
LikeCommentShare
Comments
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Are ye still cold, lassie?

Laying his equipment on the floor at his feet, Thurgrimm proceeded to remove his shirt, reavling a chest thick with bands of muscle, the skin covered in swirling woad tattoos depicting spirals, angular Dwarven patterns and runic symbology. Handing the shirt to Lana, he then re-equipped himself, hefting his axe last before stepping over to Jasper.

Thurgrimm: Let’s see that map ye got there.
23 March 2012 at 09:28 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Lana’s eyes are wide as she see’s your muscled torso. After a moment she blinks and smiles. “Wow!” She says, and puts your shirt on. It is a tight fit and she cannot do all of the buttons up, but she is pleased and giggles. “Thank you” she says and her hand lingers on your chest for a moment longer than is necessary.

Jasper unrolls a scroll showing some of the upper level of the catacombs below Chalice. Its legend says; ‘new basement area, Chalice.’

The only identifiable feature on it that matches your own travels is that the ‘new basement area’ depicted leads on from ‘long tunnel’ which is possibly the one connected to the room with the grill that you have come down from.

“I don’t think this really applies to us, Jasper.” says Garm after a few moments of study. “We’re deeper down than that.”

Jasper curses again and rolls up the map, returning it to his satchel.

There is a high pitched squeak combined with a loud creaking groan and all your attention diverts to the large doorway. One of the doors has swung open, away from you.

“Oops.” says Lana. Then defensively; “I was bored!”

A damp, cool air drifts over you. It smells stale.
24 March 2012 at 11:34 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgimm raised his axe to a ready position and strode purposefully towards the door.

Thurgrimm: Dalias, you bring up the rear, everyone else follow me. Not too closely, mind! If something’s gonnae happen, I wan’ it tae happen tae me first!
24 March 2012 at 12:27 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Everybody crowds into the tunnel space behind the door.

To your right, the right wall stretches forward and is decorated by a mosaic made of tiny ceramic chips, mostly in black, white, yellow and blue.

To your left, the left wall stretches forward with a huge mirror made of highly reflective polished metal.

The ceiling continues to arch above your head. The sloping floor disappears into very still water. The far end of the tunnel is too far and dark to see.

The mosaic directly next to you seem to be of a bright white full moon. The picture is difficult to read from here but it appears to show a story.
24 March 2012 at 12:47 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgimm: Scholar! D’ye recognise any o’ these pictograms? It seems to show some sort of saga, but my knowledge o’the history o’these parts is sketchy at best.
Lana! Donnae stray too near those mirrors yet! There’s something aboot this tunnel that doesnae sit right wi’me!
24 March 2012 at 12:52 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Jasper is very excited. He splashes into the water until it is up to his ankles, seemingly not even noticing it is there. He is too busy looking back and forth between the mosaic and the mirror image of the mosaic. He is muttering to himself and giggling with his whiny cracked laughter.

“He’s lost.” Says Garm. He squats down.

“It is a saga, it’s written in picto-glyphs. I don’t recognise the dialect at all, but it doesn’t seem…” Jasper’s voice trails off as he sidesteps deeper into the water. “No, it’s meant to be read. Quite easy in fact. If only I…” He looks left and right, and finally down at his feet. “The passage is sloping, this water is getting deeper. I cannot be expected to make a translation in these conditions.” He continues studying the mosaic. “This speaks of a spirit of wind and water and their children, see here how each of the family members has a, I don’t know what you’d call it, each of them has a scroll made of their element. I shall have to name them, they are Water and Air, and their children are Ice, Steam and Rain. Their scrolls go on through the tunnel, I…” He wades back out of the water. “This water is freezing cold and my feet are freezing!” He complains with a bitter shout. His shout echoes down the tunnel.

“I wonder how long it is since anybody disturbed this pool?” Asks Lana.

The disturbed water is throwing up reflections of the candle and lantern light, bouncing from the mirror – which at least is doubling the illumination from the lanterns – there are flashes of light bouncing from the mosaic and the ceiling in rippling motions.

“This is stupid.” Says Garm. “Come on, let’s just press on ahead. We’ll all have to get our feet wet.” He pulls off his boots and rolls up his trouser legs.
24 March 2012 at 13:19 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek As the party prepared to wade through the water, Thrugrimm mused on the information deciphered from the pictogram by Jasper.

Thurgrimm: It sounds almost Dwarfish. In our tales, the spirits of wind and water couple with the fire god, creating steam which was gifted to the Dwarfs to power their forges. I’ve never heard of another race having such similarity of myth to my people, but that doesnae mean there aren’t any. It’s almost too similar for coincidence. Maybe we should all spare a thought for whatever spirits of air and water we believe in before we plough on. If my feelings about this tunnel are proved right, we may need every blessing we can get before we’re safely though to t’other side.

Muttering an ancient Dwarfish mantra under his breath, Thrugrimm tightened the strappings on his equipment, prepared to hold his axe above the waterline, and strode onwards intot he tunnel.
24 March 2012 at 15:23 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff “Well I am not going in there! That water is filthy and disgusting. You’re just going to have to build me a raft or something.” Lana protests.

“Pick her up, Garm” Dalius suggests.

“Quite right, Thurgrimm!” Jasper enthuses. “Many races of Allansia share versions of the same root mythologies. I was always drawn to the missing links, myself. There are large parts of Allansian history that simply are not mentioned in any of the academic resources I have had a chance to… ah let me see now…” his attention is totally consumed once again by the pictoglyphs. He continues examining the mosaic, occasionally commenting; “Intriguing. Fascinating! Amazing!”

Garm snuffs out some candles and throws Lana over his shoulders before wading into the water.

The floor continues sloping downward beneath your feet. Quite soon, Thurgrimm is up to his midriff.

@Thurgrimm:
You are ahead of the rest of the party and deeper into the water. The lanterns behind you cast enough light that you can see, something, moving in the water ahead. Almost as soon as you see it, a long sinewy spine breaking the surface of the water, you feel something brush against the back of your calf musle on your right leg. It stings. You realise that you have been sliced even through your clothes. Then you feel something nudge you. It is strong like as if you have been shoved in the leg. There is another brush against your left thigh. It stings too. You feel like you are bleeding. Up ahead you see something break the surface of the water again. Multiple of them. There is a shoal. It seems to be coming toward you.
24 March 2012 at 15:36 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: There’s something in the water!! Everyone… OUT OF THE WATER!!!!

Thurgrimm turns to make his way back up the tunnel in the direction they came from, glancing briefly at the ceiling and walls. If only there was something that may be of use, a hook, or section of wall that looks fragile.
24 March 2012 at 15:47 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The wall to your right is a huge sheet of shiny reflective metal mirror. The wall to your left is mosaic chips all approximately as big as your thumbnail. The ceiling is rounded arches of stone, the weight of the ground above pressing it down into a stable arch. The does not appear to be any hooks or crevasses you can use.

Before your eyes, Garm and Lana disappear! She shrieks and they both sink beneath the water!

Everybody else is staring at you as you wade as fast as you can toward them, turns their attention to Garm and Lana.

“Oh my…” Jasper utters.

Dalias draws his dagger and begins edging backwards out of the water.
24 March 2012 at 16:02 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: LANA!!!! GARM!!!

Splashing throught he waist deep water, shapes brushing past him all the time, Thurgrim ran as best he could towards where his two human companions had disappeared. Thurgrimm thrust his unarmed hand under the surface, frantically searching for the first object he could grab hold of….
24 March 2012 at 16:08 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Your fingers grip onto something slithery. You pull it out of the water, holding it tight enough that it cannot escape you. There is a BLOOD EEL thrashing about in your hand! Its razor sharp teeth snap inches from your face, and you instinctively let go of the slippery creature. You feel something bite your left thigh, and at almost the same moment something brushes your right ankle. Lose 2 STAMINA points.

Jasper repeats; “Oh my!” and drops his lantern into the water.

Dalius is by the waters edge carrying the last source of light your party has. He puts it down and bravely strides forward, grabbing Jasper and practically throwing him toward the shore. Jasper is blinking rapidly and makes his way to sit behind the lantern.
24 March 2012 at 16:30 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Despite the obvious injuries he was sustaining, Thurgrimm continued to thrash through the water, desperate to find Lana and JAsper, determined to throttle the next Blood Eel he pulled out, or at least throw it out of the waterfor Dalias to dispatch. His mind made up, he plunged under the water straining to see by what little light was filtering through the gloom from the party’s one remaining lamp and is impeccable Dwarf eyesight. Finding a shadow, he immediately grabbed it and thrust back up to the surface…
24 March 2012 at 16:47 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The water is cold, and although murky, it is surprisingly clear. Your feet have stirred up some muck from the bottom but you can still see, from what little light is available. What you see is somewhere between half a dozen and a dozen large eels moving toward you, and that the floor has a round hole built into it, presumably this is where Lana and Garm have disappeared into. You have to pull your head up for a breath of air.
24 March 2012 at 17:01 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Breaking the surface, Thrugrimm stood and yelled over to Dalias and Jasper.

Thurgimm: They’ve been drawn or dragged down some sort of drain. There’s between 6 to 12 of those lil bloodsuckers, but we’re gonna have tae chance it, an follow Lana and Garm down.

Without waiting for the reply from the two humans, Thurgrimm drew a massive lungful of air, and dived back under, heading for the hole…
24 March 2012 at 18:05 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
You see Lana pulling herself up over the edge of the hole, her face is blue. She see’s you and her eyes go wide. Her left hand is below the hole, she is tugging on something that appears to be stuck. As you get closer you can see that she is holding onto Garm by his shirt collar. He is either unconcious or dead. As soon as you grab hold of him, Lana lets go of him and darts upward to the surface of the water. You are laying on the ground, holding Garm by the collar. A Blood Eel swims past your face. You need to test your Skill.

http://www.invisiblecastle.com/roller

enter FBAFF as the campaign name to save your dice roll.
Roll Dice
This die roller is based on the excellent OpenRPG, and uses exactly the same options.If you know how to use dice in OpenRPG, you know how…
invisiblecastle.com
25 March 2012 at 16:51 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3431550/

got a 7!!
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
25 March 2012 at 17:21 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Good roll! You haul Garm up to the surface and hold him beneath his elbows. Lana is hugging Dalius who is trying to push her aside to help you with Garm. She finally gets the hint and moves aside, however the delay has given the Blood Eels time to attack you again!

Modifiers to Thurgrimms Attack Score: -8!
-4 waist deep in water
-1 ‘twilight’
-2 carrying heavy weight (Garm)
-1 second opponent
(Dungeoneer p166)

You need to make 2 Attack Rolls, one for each opponent, although the 2nd one is a defensive rather than offensive, so you will not damage it even if you do roll successfully.

1st Blood Eel Attack Score: 16
2nd Blood Eel Attack Score: 10

(ignore 3rd & 4th, I entered the wrong number of dice rolls in the roller) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3438247/

After this attack round, Dalius arrives and takes hold of Garm by one armpit, begins dragging him back to the ‘shore’
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
29 March 2012 at 20:21 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff NB Thurgrimms Attack Score is 2d6 + Axe Special Skill -8
29 March 2012 at 20:22 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3472268/

It appears my dice rolling is not so good today!!
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
17 April 2012 at 13:11 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff <ooc> (Out Of Character)

@Pete:
the InvisibleCastle is confusing, it took me a while to understand its logic.

I have added Thurgrimm’s +3 Axe skill to your dice results from there; he scored 2 for the first (offensive) combat round and 1 for the second (defensive) combat round. Better than those negatives! So the result is:

<ic>
(In Character)

@Thurgrimm:
The first Blood Eel sinks its needle-like teeth into your right leg thigh, doing 2 STAMINA damage; the second Blood Eel bites your left calf doing a further 2 STAMINA damage.
You currently have 15 STAMINA
Thurgrimm’s character sheet is here:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/…/char…/thurgrimm-the-madd
Thurgrimm the Madd | Obsidian Portal
Obsidian Portal allows you to create campaign websites for tabletop role-playing games including, but not limited to Dungeons & Dragons™.…
obsidianportal.com|By Ryan Felton and Micah Wedemeyer
17 April 2012 at 14:52 · Like · 1 · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek OOC do I need to amend that sheet myself?
17 April 2012 at 15:00 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff OOC> no worries – it takes too long with online gaming – the notes made here are sufficient to keep tabs on it.
17 April 2012 at 15:08 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek ooc> kewl
17 April 2012 at 15:12 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Bleeding from multiple bites, but relieved from the burden of Garm, Thurgrimm hefted his axe and prepared to cover his companiions escape.
17 April 2012 at 15:15 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
You see that Dalias is wading toward you, his arm outstretched ready to grab hold of you and pull you toward the shore. Behind him, everyone else is looking on aghast!
17 April 2012 at 15:53 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Go back manling! These things’ll eat you alive!!!
17 April 2012 at 15:56 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Dalias dithers, and steps backward to the shore. “C’mon, dwarf!” He urges.

You feel an eel slither between your thighs, thrashing its tail.
17 April 2012 at 16:36 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm made a grab for the eel between his legs, looking to throttle the creature and exact a measure of revenge for the flesh wounds…
17 April 2012 at 16:40 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Test Your SKILL -2 because you are holding an axe in one hand
www.invisiblecastle.com/roller
Roll Dice
This die roller is based on the excellent OpenRPG, and uses exactly the same options.If you know how to use dice in OpenRPG, you know how…
invisiblecastle.com
17 April 2012 at 16:43 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3472635/

Really no luck today!! wink emoticon
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
17 April 2012 at 17:35 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thrugrimm:
A Blood Eel attacks you! …See More
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
17 April 2012 at 17:58 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3472692/

Can’t a dwarf catch a break?!?!
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
17 April 2012 at 18:10 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Obviously not!
Thurgrimm drops his axe as a Blood Eel bites his backside for 2 STAMINA damage.
From the shore, Lana shouts; “Dwarf! Get out of the water!”
17 April 2012 at 18:13 · Like · 1
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thrugrimm turned on his heels as best he could in the water, nearly tripping over his axe in the water. Scooping it up, he started to half wade, half run through the pool to where the rest of the party waited.
HIs head hung in shame from his failure to get them through the tunnel, Thurgrimm trudged past the humans, and sat a little further up the tunnel, his axe laid before him on the ground, his eyes closed.
17 April 2012 at 18:20 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
You will need to Test Your Luck to find your axe again in the dark, eel infested water.
17 April 2012 at 18:57 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3474471/

My Luck test roll
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
18 April 2012 at 13:00 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
current LUCK score reduced by 1 point.
Unfortunately you cannot find your Axe.
While you are searching for it, the water beside you begins to bubble ferociously. Also one of the Blood Eels attack again.
BLOOD EEL attack score: 11
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3480424/
THURGIMM!”"" shouts Alana; “more eels coming, get out of the water!”
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
21 April 2012 at 10:00 · Like · Remove Preview
Gordon Macleod
Gordon Macleod <ooc> C’mon Thurgrimm!! I love following this scene, Draco’s rooting for you!!
21 April 2012 at 10:03 · Like · 1
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: I cannae leave ma axe behind!!! I must find it!!!

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3480480/

Thurgrimm: GYAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
21 April 2012 at 12:21 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
the Blood Eel sinks its fangs into your fore-arm while you are splashing about feeling for your axe, doing -2 damage to your STAMINA.
Abruptly you feel lots of little blood eels swimming around in the water surrounding you. They cause a multitude of scrapes and slices, doing a further -1 damage to your STAMINA.

“Dwarf!” shouts Dalias.His booming voice ricochet’s and echoes through the tunnel.
21 April 2012 at 14:34 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: I cannae leave wi’oot ma axe!!!
21 April 2012 at 14:43 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Dalias:
Alana pushes Dalias forward into the water. “Go get him!”
Dalias stumbles forward and then wades in toward the dwarf, looking pained and yelling as the Eels bite at his legs. Lose 2 STAMINA

@Thurgrimm:
Alana pushes the rogue out of the way and splashes over to Thurgrimm. “What is it with you men?” she asks, and grabs you by the beard, pulling you back toward the shore.

On the shore, Garm coughs and splutters back to consciousness. Jasper is beginning to come to his senses and lights another of the candles.
21 April 2012 at 15:06 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm sat in a stunned silence, staring disbelievingly at the brackish water, the will to fight drained from his exhausted, bleeding body.

Thurgrimm:……ma axe……..
21 April 2012 at 15:18 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Everyone catches their breath.
Most of the group are dripping wet, and cold.

“Thurgrimm,” Lana places her hand on the Dwarfs shoulder. “There must be a way to find your axe.”

“We could drain the tunnel.” Jasper suggests. “We need to cross the water. Dalius, do you think we could build a raft from the crates we saw in that store-room above?”

“I’m all for burning the stuff and drying out. Its so cold down here” suggests Lana.

“There was a fireplace in that study room up there.” Jasper says. Then he adds;“Hey if we build a raft we can dredge the tunnel for the dwarfs axe.”

Garm coughs. He has hardly stirred since being dumped on the shore by the barmaid. “Heat. Rest up. Build raft.” His voice is rough, he sounds quite ill.

“What do you think of our plan Thurgrimm?” asks Lana.
21 April 2012 at 16:42 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm sat in brooding silence, vaguely aware that the others were talking to him. The loss of his axe was consuming him, eating away at his resolve to carry on, to make his way from the tunnel, to relieve himself of the company of these humans and carry on his journey.

His journey.

The sole reason he still pushed himself forwards, the weight of those depending on him, the souls who would not rest until he had sought their bane and extinguished it.

Thurgrimm: ….heat…raft…rest….

He slurred, before slipping back into his catatonia
21 April 2012 at 17:02 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff “Sh!” Alana hisses.
“Nobody was saying anything!” protests Jasper.
“Jasper shut up you idiot!” Alana says, quite loudly.
Behind them trudges Garm is clutching his hands around his arms, shivering, his skin is a worrying tone of blue. Behind him is Dalias, holding the parties lantern.
Several paces behind, bringing up the rear, is the zombified Dwarf Thurgrimm.
“What’s up Alana?” Dalias asks.
The party are standing beneath the hole to the upper tunnels.
“I thought I heard something, up there.” she explains. She is also clutching her arms and shivering. “It might just be water in my ears.” Her hair is wet and clinging to her face, she looks bedraggled.
“Who is going first?” Jasper asks. “It can’t be me, I was first last time.”
“I can’t go first,” Lana explains; “I’m a girl.”
There is silence for a moment.
“Those two are in a bad way, they can’t go first either, in case there is something up there, waiting.”
“Dalias, you’re the man.” Jasper’s grin is infuriating.
22 April 2012 at 01:03 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm sat down heavily on the tunnel floor, vaguely aware of the discussion around him. His thoughts however, weighed upon him like the whole world were pressing upon him. Over and over in his mind, faces of family and friends swam before his eyes, accusing, pleading, judging. Coaxing him to lay down and accept the inevitable, to just rest in sweet oblivion, to let go…….
22 April 2012 at 10:21 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Alana kneels in front of you and places her hands on your shoulders. “Hey, Thurgrimm, are you there?” She clicks her fingers in front of your face. “C’mon Dwarf, my hero. You have to climb the rope, we can’t leave you here. I am sure there’s a way to get your axe back. Jasper will think of something, he’s clever. I’m really sorry that I tugged your beard, I had no choice. C’mon we need you upstairs. We’re having a fire. You’ll feel better. C’mon.”
She stands up.
“Oh yeah, thanks you guys, thanks for leaving a poor helpless girl alone down here with a catatonic unarmed Dwarf. Come on Thurgrimm I need your help, I don’t think I can climb this rope by myself anyway.”
22 April 2012 at 21:19 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Half snapping from his reverie, Thurgrimm slowly shambled after Lana, his head hung low…
23 April 2012 at 09:56 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
A fleck of vivid red emerges from your beard, attracting your attention. The tiny Salamander given you by Sefir the wizard in the Pilgrims Roost is climbing out of your beard and up onto your shoulder.
23 April 2012 at 13:20 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Remembering the wiards words from the tavern, Thurgrimm gave the tiny salamander a gentle stroke on the head.

Thurgrimm: You keep safe now, little one. Wi’ oot ma axe, I dinnae ken how long I can watch oot fer ye.
23 April 2012 at 18:36 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff There is no fireplace in the room with the hole in the floor leading to the flooded tunnel from Jasper’s map.

Jasper leads the group through the large tunnel which has several doors on both sides and disappears into darkness at both ends, to a room that he calls ‘the study’, near the open archway from the crate room you entered this level from the urn room below. It’s door is locked; Jasper has the bronze key, which works from both sides. It contains;

-a square table,
-a writing desk with quills and tiny glass bottles of inks,
-three wooden chairs,
-a large, flat topped chest,
-shelves, with scrolls on,

Garm slumps to a cross-legged position on the floor and shivers, chattering his teeth loudly.

Lana lights lots of candles and spreads them around the room to create as much light as possible. “Dalias, you had better go and smash up some of those crates in the other room, for firewood.”

Jasper checks the lantern to see how much oil remains; he frowns with concern at the answer.
23 April 2012 at 21:14 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Suddenly, as if a dwarf possessed, Thurgrimm hurried over to the chest, and began looking for a way inside, settling for raising the large wooden box above his head and smashing it upon the floor if it were not unlocked…
24 April 2012 at 12:48 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The chest is as long as a Dwarf and nearly as high and as wide. It has been varnished with lacquer and is nearly black in colour. There is a single, small lock beneath a lip of the lid, in the center. A tiny keyhole in a square metal plate.

Everybody (except Garm who is shivering and Dalias who has gone to collect crates) is surprised by the Dwarfs abrupt mood swing.

“I, um, Thurgrimm, you should be cautious; for all we know that er, chest could be trapped” Jasper sagely advises from the comfort of one of the chairs.

Alana who was sitting pertly upon the chest grabs a candle from its top and jumps down to stand beside Garm.
24 April 2012 at 12:55 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Well? Are y’all gonnae just stand there an’ watch, or are ye gonnae help me get ma axe back?? Must get ma axe…must get ma axe….
24 April 2012 at 13:00 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Lana says; “It’s gone down that hole. Thurgrimm, there is a room below, I saw it when I fell down in there with Garm. A big statue, I think that is probably what Garm hit his head on.”

Jasper pulls some scrolls from his pack and unravels them on the writing desk. “This tunnel system is a lot more complicated than I had anticipated.” I found this section, on this shelf." He stands and begins searching through the scrolls on the shelf.

Garm chatters his teeth and shivers.

“I’m going to help Dalias with that firewood.” Announces Lana. “The sooner we get this fire lit, the sooner we can find your axe.”

From the tunnel you hear the sound of a crate being splintered.
24 April 2012 at 13:10 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Well, maybe that chest will help knock a hole through to the room below…… or if it’s empty it might float, and we can paddle it across….

Even as he spoke, he knew the chances of that were slim, and that his desperation was getting the better of him. He walked somewhat disconsolately over to Jasper at the desk.

Thurgrimm: Ah’m holdin’ you responsible, scholar! If it weren’t fer your cockamamie quest, I’d still ha’ ma ancestral axe!! There better be summat in these scrolls that either explains how we get it back!!
24 April 2012 at 13:15 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Dalias:
In the large ‘crate room’ you think about how much easier it would be to return to the basement of the inn just a few twists and turns away from here. Then you remember the sickening sound of Fred the doorman’s head connecting with the bar, earlier this evening. If the old guy is dead then there will likely be a murder inquiry to avoid.

You smash another empty crate by putting your foot through it. That is probably enough firewood for now, to get the fire lit. You scoop the wood up in your arms. It is then that the corner door flies open, and something large tumbles into the room. By the light of the one candle you have set on the floor it is impossible to see what it is.

The air current caused by its arrival blows out the candle. You are plunged into darkness; there is a very faint glow from the passageway, from all the candles that Lana has lit in the ‘study’ room. Whatever it is that has fallen into the room is now groaning and cursing with a gruff, nasty voice.

From the doorway comes a second gruff, nasty voice;
“Ugh Snugrug, Bellyrot shzika shqueel avyu.”

“Avyu nishty, Bellyrot, Snugrug ken avyu nishty.” replies the heap on the floor. Their voices are a mixture of squealing and growling sounds. Orcs!

@Thurgrimm:
Jasper looks alarmed and raises his hands. “We’re all in the same boat together, Dwarf!” He splutters. And then he looks at the chest, and back at your wild mad eyes. He begins to chuckle. “Thurgrimm, my friend, do you think you can make that hole any bigger with using your bare hands?”

There is a loud crunch from the corridor, and this time it doesn’t sound like crates being splintered. The sound is followed by an aggressive gutter-speech that jars your bones. It can be only one thing; Orcs!
24 April 2012 at 13:37 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Without being given the chance to affirm Jaspers request, the sound of Orcs from the nearby room interrupts the conversation.

Thurgrimm: Aye, that ah can. An’ it sounds like we better move soon. Ah’m in no state for Orc blood wi’oot ma axe!

Thurgrimm headed for the chest, and started to drag it over to the flooded passage, seemingly oblivious to Dalius’ plight.
24 April 2012 at 13:53 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The chest has no handles so the only leverage you have to pull it is the lip of the lid closing over the sides; it is barely enough to pinch between your fingertips. So instead you decide to push it toward the door; it is more or less as heavy as you would expect it to be, taking into account that anything it contains does not weight very much. It makes a tremendous scraping noise as you push it a few feet across the floor with a mighty shove.

@Dalias:
There is a horrible scraping noise from the study room. You guess it is the Dwarf pushing furniture about. The arguing Orcs in the dark room with you, fall silent for a moment.

“Ay Snugrug, thingina glum.” says Bellyrot

“Ay Bellyrot, yu’av brava avyu looksee licky-likey.” says Snugrug

“Bellyrot brava fershewa, an’ braina. Getchum bosses yer pronto m’finkles.”says Bellyrot

“M’finkles avyu shtinkles.” says Snugrug
24 April 2012 at 14:54 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm heaved the chest out of the room to the tunnel, and left it right by the waters’ edge. He then returned to gather his companions…
24 April 2012 at 16:15 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff <ooc>
My most humblest apologies…

I will explain this one away by saying that the more you hear the Orcs speak, the more you begin to realise what it is they are saying…

<grits>

The Orcs names are Snugrot and Bellyrug;
NOT Snugrug and Bellyrot.

I have also edited their speech to take out some of the nastier Orcish cusswords, which halves their airtime.

@Thurgrimm:
Jasper turns and see’s what you are doing. “No no Dwarf…” He stands up and gives you the chair he was sitting in a moment ago. “Chair legs. Rollers. Makes light work.” Then he turns back to his scrolls.

@Dalias:
Lana, carrying a candle, is walking up the passage toward you. In the dim light, you see two pairs of slitty red eyes look directly toward you.

“BludMud!” shouts one of the Orcs, possibly Bellyrug.

“Shupper!” shouts the other, probably Snugrot.

From the corridor you hear Lana inhale sharply. She stops in her tracks.
24 April 2012 at 19:33 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Grabbing the chair, Thurgrimm abruptly snapped two legs off, and proceeded to place one under the front of the chest. He then used the second leg as a lever to move the chest forward.
25 April 2012 at 16:38 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Hefting the chair leg in his hand, Thurgrimm a look of thoughtfulness spread across his face, as if he were weighing various options in his mind. Suddenly, he wheeled and ran towards the doorway of the room he had noticed Dalius enter. As he ran towards the room, he let out a guttural Dwarfish roar, brandishing the chair leg above his head and clearly meaning to take his frustration out on the owners of the orcish voices….
27 April 2012 at 13:45 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Lana is standing in the passage between the study room and the crate room. She has pinned herself against a wall to hide, although she is carrying a lit candle. She raises it above your head as you rush past. Being a Dwarf you do not have so much trouble seeing in the gloom dim light as do the weak eyed humans; but neither do Orcs.

You run past Dalias who is standing paralyzed with his arms full of kindling in the middle of the crate room. It is rectangular, there are several crates along its edges. There is an arched opening into the passageway you are rushing in through and two doors at the far end; the left one is open now, the right right one is where you ascended from the clay jar room earlier.

The Orcs are very surprised to see you running at them wielding a club! One of the Orcs says something foul beneath its breath.
27 April 2012 at 14:34 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Not looking to waste the element of surprise Thurgrimm launched himself at the closest Orc, swinging the chair leg in a wide arc towards its head…
27 April 2012 at 14:41 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Filthy Orcs!!! GIMME MA AXE BACK!!!
27 April 2012 at 14:41 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek <ooc> well, he’s not called “The Madd” for nothing!! lol
27 April 2012 at 14:42 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The Orc closest to the door turns around and makes a dash for it. The other Orc freezes on the spot but shouts out; “BLUDMUD!!!!” which echoes through all the tunnels.
27 April 2012 at 14:55 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff <ooc> @Pete: Thurgrimm’s revelation of using a chair leg as a club here is funny! grin emoticon
27 April 2012 at 15:35 · Like · 1
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The chair leg connects with the Orcs skull. It makes a hollow ‘tock!’ sound. The Orc does look surprised. Completely unharmed, but surprised. Slowly its face changes to an expression of anger. The Orc leans forward, red beady eyes glowing in the dark, dribble oozing from the yellow tusks of its lower jaw, dripping off its rubbery lips. It leans forward so that its nose is a hairs breadth from your own. “RAWRGH!” roars the Orc directly in your face. Spittle sprays your face and beard and its breath is rancid. The roar also echoes through the tunnels.
27 April 2012 at 15:41 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Spittle oozing down his face, Thrugrimm doesn’t even blink. “RAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!” he screamed in answer, befiore abruptly smashing the thicker end of the makeshift club squarely on what passed for the Orc’s stubby piggish nose. As the Orc stumbled back, Thurgrimm stepped forward with a massive uppercut, hewn from the very rock of the earth itself…
27 April 2012 at 16:53 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Snapping the end of the chair leg against the wall, Thurgrimm then charged the Orc again, jagged end directed right at the poor unfortunate Orc.
27 April 2012 at 16:56 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Snugrot the Orc’s Attack Score: 12

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3491656/
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
27 April 2012 at 19:53 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm Attack Score: 14 (assuming there’s no modifier for a broken chair leg!!)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3494565/

No words issued from Thurgrimm, as he began to foam at the corner of his mouth, yelling incoherently. He riased the chair leg club for another strike.
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
29 April 2012 at 18:02 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3498750/

Thurgrimm Attack Score: 16

Thurgrimm rammed the sharpened end of the chair leg down into the Orc’s nose…
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
2 May 2012 at 13:14 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Dalias:
You watch as the Dwarf Thurgrim goes berserk on the poor unfortunate Orc. A powerful uppercut smashes the creatures face with a heavy ‘crunch’.

@Thurgrimm:
The Orc lurches backward. Thurgrimm brings the weapon down again for another strike, but Snugrot is cowering against the wall, looking pathetic and holding its face with both hands, making helpless whimpering sounds.

At this moment another Orc enters the room through the door to your left, coming down some steps. This Orc wears a blood red loincloth and has a brown circle daubed on the center of its chest. The Orc is holding a short stick with a curly-horned animal skull on top, from which dangles a string of bones. The Orc thrusts this toward the Thurgrimm.

@Thurgrimm: Test Your Luck
3 May 2012 at 13:04 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thugrimm Tests his Luck:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3500360/

Scores 13
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
3 May 2012 at 13:12 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff <ooc> a stat test is 2d6, equal or lower than the stat score.
Only in combat do the dice results get added to the skill rate. So; you scored a 6, which after dealing with the blood eels I am pretty certain is a fail. Every time you make a Luck roll it…See More
3 May 2012 at 13:32 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek <ooc> apologies, got confused for a second!!

Overcome by all consuming fear of the monstrosity that had just entered the room, Thurgrimm bolted for the nearest exit, heading back towards the jar room, and the way back out towards the tavern…
3 May 2012 at 14:18 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Dalias:
Two red eyes in the dark; the Orc shaman turns and stares directly at you! The eyes narrow into slits. Then it turns and gives its attention to its fallen comrade. “M mfka mofe ef ffn frkn!” says Snugrot, clutching her face while he pulls her to her feet.
“Whats happening down there?” shouts a human voice from the stairs. The shaman Orc grunts.
4 May 2012 at 18:03 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
You come to your senses while jumping up and down trying to grab hold of the edge of the entrance-hole into the Pilgrims Roost cellar. Unfortunately it remains just ever so slightly out of your reach. A dim light comes through the hole, your dwarven darkseeing skill compensates.
13 May 2012 at 12:51 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Coming to his senses, Thurgrimm turned and headed back towards his companions, moving as silently as the rock around him. All the better to catch the Orcling witch unawares, and break it’s neck.
13 May 2012 at 12:59 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:

You return to the crate room to find Dalias, Lana and a scrawny young human wearing goatskins talking with three Orcs. Although the room is lit by Lana’s candle there is a strange blue tone to the light in here as if the air itself is tinting the flame. Everybody seems peaceful; weapons are sheathed. The Orc that you battered is sitting against the wall holding her face, her beady eyes peering out over fat fingers around which an ooze of blood is congealing.

The newcomer stares at you intently. He appears to be some kind of shaman. He greets you by putting his fist to his chest and saying his name; “Jerem.” He pronounces the word “Shrem.”

Then he points to the Orcs, starting with the shaman and ending with the injured one. “Bludmud, Belyrug, Snugrot. Friends.” He gestures a broad horizontal circle with his hand as he says this.

“Together seek den. Orc journey for rite of passage. Shrem journey for answer of bad dream. Now, all friends.” He gestures again in a horizontal circle, including everyone in the room.

“Shrem build sacred smoke.” Strapped to his back is a two foot long pole. He begins attaching a stone bowl to one end of it and produces some smoking herbs from a pouch. He gestures at Lana, calling her toward him. “Shrem need fire.”

At this moment Jasper very hesitantly enters the room carrying a lantern. “Hello?” He asks. “Er, I ah, that is to say, er…” He seems nervous of the Orcs and then he see’s the peace-pipe being lit. “Nice party you are all having without me but I would like to take this moment to remind you that one of our companions if freezing to death in the next room.”
13 May 2012 at 16:05 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: You want a peace, Orcling? Then use some o’ those wee herbs on ma companion. Then we ha’ peace!

Thurgrimm gently ushers Jerem over towards the door Jasper just came through. Of course gently for a dwarf is quite rough by other race’s standards.
15 May 2012 at 15:00 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Dalias:
The Orc shaman Bludmud explains; “Snugrot say Dwarf good fighter. Wants teach. Same as puny man wizard Jerem and strong wizard Bludmud teach spells.”

@Thurgrimm:
Jerem drops the pipe into Alana’s eagerly awaiting hands as you dwarfhandle him out of the room.

Jerem see’s the blue-skinned and shivering form of Garm curled up in a fetal position in front of an unlit fireplace.

Jasper follows you both into the room, avoiding the Orcs. “I say my dear fellows, do either of you know whether the grammatical correct proper plural for Orc is Orc or Orcs?” he babbles in the background.

Jerem turns to Jasper and commands; “Get firewood.” Jasper blinks a few times and rushes off to obey, taking his lantern. The room goes dark, although your Dwarven eyesight adjusts quickly you hear the shaman mutter something crude beneath his breath.

Jasper returns with the lantern and three sticks from the crate room and stops in the doorway. “Make fire.” Jerem points at the fireplace. Jasper obediently places the sticks where indicated and begins scratching his head and rubbing his chin and saying ‘ah’ and ‘umm’ and re-arranes the sticks a few times.

You watch Jerem work. First of all he touches Garms forehead and neck. Then he clicks his fingers and points them in the same hand gesture toward the fireplace. Immediately a small flame leaps from the sticks. “More sticks.” He says to Jasper. “Give Dwarf lamp.” Jasper passes you the lamp and peers anxiously around the corner into the dark corridor before hastening to the crate room.

The shaman inhales deeply and places his hands on top of Garms chest. He mumbles something beneath his breath, it seems to go on for a while. Jasper returns with his arms full of kindling and throws it all into the fire. Half of it bounces out again unlit. Jerem takes another deep breath and lets out an unexpected lunge sound although his hands remain steady above Garms chest.

Garm coughs and sluggishly opens his eyes. “S s so c cold!” He says hoarsely. Then he coughs up a load of water. “Urgh gross” he adds.

Jerem turns toward Jasper. “Go ask Orcs bring Shrem fur.” Jasper looks nervous but leaves the room.

Garm looks at you. “Hi Thurgrimm. Who’se this you found? Where’s Lana?”

Jerem says “Sh!” and prevents Garm from trying to upright by pushing his shoulder. “Rest!” Then to you he says; “Shrem need rest too. Weak from healing. Will sleep now. When Fur come, put on that one.” He points at Garm and lays down beside him.
16 May 2012 at 21:01 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Well, manling, it looks like these two aren’t going anywhere for an hour or two, so we best get everyone in here around this fire, find out what the “new arrivals” are doing down here, and plan our next move, especially as the way ahead (he nodded towards the flooded passageway) appears to be blocked. Ah still need to get mah axe back.
17 May 2012 at 09:49 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Listen up you orcs, you wan’ me tae show youse how tae fight? I will do, but I need youse to do a wee summat fer me. I need ma axe back, an it’s provin’ hard to get to…
24 May 2012 at 18:28 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Snugrot agrees by vigorously nodding her head, which of course causes her nose to start bleeding again. “Mrr mfkn mobe” she grumbles as all three of the Orcs suspiciously follow you into the study room where the fire is taking hold and making a more pleasant atmosphere. Dalius and Alana also follow you in. Jasper exclaims that he would like to help you move the chest, making an excuse to avoid the Orcs.
24 May 2012 at 19:54 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
The Orc whose face you bashed in grips you by the shoulder as you follow Jasper out of the room.
“Mrgut bind gar abf.” she releases her grip. “Oo moria!”

The other Orc Bellyrug says; “Shnug grot sayed; she wants find your axe, you warrior.” Then he says something in Orc to the shaman Bloodmud and they both laugh evilly.

Orc laughter is horrible as their accents, cruel and twisted with rolling ’r’s and sharply hissed ‘s’ and ‘t’ spiking like thorns slicing flesh. Snugrots reply is utterly illegible.
3 June 2012 at 12:02 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman <ooc> Gamekeeper has agreed that I an take over playing the character of Jerem the Flatlander shaman who is the brother of my other character Erki the barbarian. We have discussed backstage the basic background and motivations of Jerem, I will draw up …See More
19 June 2012 at 18:20 · Like · 2
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek (ooc) welcome to the catacombs, Joy!!!
19 June 2012 at 18:39 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman (OOC) thanks Pete smile emoticon
19 June 2012 at 20:27 · Like · 1
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem, shaman

I ask the group what they are doing in these tunnels beneath Chalice town?
20 June 2012 at 22:59 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Jerem:
A buxom young woman, Alana, replies; “I’m beginning to ask myself that. Whats your story?”
21 June 2012 at 23:41 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm- Somewhere in that flooded tunnel lays ma axe. Ah cannae reach the end o ’ the map the manlings have wi’ oot ma axe. Noo, are ye gonnae help me get it back, or not?
27 June 2012 at 10:15 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem, shaman
“Dwarf, if your axe can be retrieved, we will do so. The map, I would like to see it.”
30 June 2012 at 20:48 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Speak to one o’ the Manlings aboot the map. They’re the ones that’re carryin’ it. That Garm fella, I think.
4 July 2012 at 13:42 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Garm: “That’ll be Jasper, he’s the scholar, he has the scrolls. Where is he anyway?”
4 July 2012 at 15:01 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Last I saw of him, he were warming hisself up after tha’ soakin’ he took. All you manlings look alike t’me…
4 July 2012 at 15:23 · Unlike · 1
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Snugrot; “oo mfud ry meeng um orc shumdime”
4 July 2012 at 15:28 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: I dinnae ken what ye said, ugly, but if’n it’s what Ah think ye said, then ye’re right!
25 July 2012 at 13:34 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem Stoneskull, flatland shaman

@Alana and everyone else;
“I am from the great flat beyond the mountains to the East. I am a shaman of my tribe. Many disturbing dreams led me to this place. Something terrible is coming to the land. A great evil. I met these Orcs and by good fortune was able to befriend them as my bodyguard, promising them of the riches beneath these tunnels. There is a key here, something important that can protect the lands from what I have seen in my visions.”
27 July 2012 at 15:58 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm- Well, laddie… it looks like yer joost got yerself another couple’o major weapons in yer arsenal there!! Me an the manling’ll gladly lend yers oor blades. As soon as Ah get ma axe back, that is!!
28 July 2012 at 17:00 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Chalice Catacombs Map Section https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…
Gamekeeper Fbaff’s photo.
Gamekeeper Fbaff
29 July 2012 ·

Chalice Catacombs Scene 9
https://www.facebook.com/…/12454527089…/doc/376742385679457/

NB: red ink is not shown on original map, it is for our reference
NB: the…
See More
29 July 2012 at 02:55 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: So, are we all rested enough to carry on?

Suddenly noticing a rumble deep within his gut, Thrugrimm rummaged around in his pack, searching for something to eat. Finding a hunk of Dwarven bread, he shoved the morsel in his mouth in one go, swallowing without hardly chewing, then re-tied his pack.
8 August 2012 at 11:25 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
You may restore 4 STAMINA points thanks to your tasty and nutritious meal.
8 August 2012 at 18:11 · Like · 1
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem Stoneskull, flatlander shaman:
looks at maps
“These maps are useless.”
Jerem casts Locate Sacred Space (1) spell to discover what direction the temple is.
dice roll success! (10/10)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3646147/
9 August 2012 at 20:33 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Jerem:
You get a strong instinct, a magnetic pull, in the direction toward the NNE, and downward either to the level below this one, or possible beneath that. The distance is… you remember a stone throwing contest with the braves of your tribe, a popular game. Your brother Erki holds the unbroken record for being able to throw a stone the farthest. You measured it yourself in fifty footsteps. The distance as you gauge the sacred space from here is about twice that far.
11 August 2012 at 20:40 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem, shaman:
Jerem points in the direction. “100 strides. That way.”
11 August 2012 at 21:52 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: If it gets ma axe back, I’m with the manling seer! I suggest we all gather oor stuff, an’ make oor way in that direction!
13 August 2012 at 10:47 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff The party, consisting of Thurgrimm the Dwarf, Jerem the shaman, Dalias the rogue, Alana the barmaid, Garm the unrevealed, Jasper the Scholar, Bludmud the Orc shaman, Snugrot and Bellyrug the Orc fighters, decide to settle aside any differences they may have at this time and venture onward toward the treasure., and to recover Thurgrimms axe
Jasper, remembering that he is employing half of the party and also is the only one with a map of the subterranean tunnels, rem is reminded with Alana’s help that he is supposedly the leader and should be proud that they now have an even stronger force. His fear of the Orcs is clear by the increased pitch of his voice and the short stabbing bursts with which he is speaking, when he does speak.
Jasper admires Thurgrimms valiant effort to push a large chest through the hole into the flooded lower tunnel, for use as a boat; which works, so far as the chest floats at the edge of the eel infested water. He also establishes that there are several sets of stairs marked on the map, suggesting that perhaps they should attempt the nearest one, perhaps sending the Orcs ahead as a scouting team, in the chance that the tunnels all lead to the same destination, the temple where the Chalice is to be found.
Garm argues for the tunnel on the original map, which persuades the majority of the party that this is the proper course to take. Of the party of nine, it seems fitting that three trips are made over the water, given that the chest is large enough only to fit three at a time anyway.
Snugrot requests she travels with Thurgrimm. After some debate it is decided that Jasper will accompany them on the second trip, following Garm, Jerem and Bellyrug, while the final trip will consist of Bludmud, Dalias and Alana.

Three LUCK rolls must be made, one for each ferry. The fairest way will be to average the stats for each group, the quickest way will be to do it on the relevant player characters score.
@ Thurgrimm & Jerem & Dalias:
please make a LUCK test

www.invisiblecastle.com/roller
Roll Dice
This die roller is based on the excellent OpenRPG, and uses exactly the same options.If you know how to use dice in OpenRPG, you know how…
invisiblecastle.com
17 August 2012 at 16:05 · Like · Remove Preview
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem, Shaman

<ooc> Gamekeeper, a small question.
How is the vessel to be returned from the far shore to the near shore, for the second trip, if all three of its occupants are to be left at the far shore?
Do we have any long rope?

<ic>
Jerem LUCK test (for second trip):
needed 9 or less, rolled 12 (double 6).
FAIL

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3658066/
17 August 2012 at 19:27 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek <ooc> this is lilke one of those DS puzzles!! One person obviously will have to remain on the chest to paddle it back to pick up two more passengers!
20 August 2012 at 13:20 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Jasper looks embarrassed when the obvious flaw in his plan is pointed out.
“Alright then, who volunteers to row the first trip across, and who volunteers to go with them?”
21 August 2012 at 13:39 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm:- Ah’ll do tha rowin’. Ah’ll have ye across that wee puddle in no time at all!
21 August 2012 at 13:41 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Snugrot demands to accompany Thurgrimm.
Garm agree’s to go on the first trip provided he can take one of the lanterns or a candle to leave on the far side.
There is a plank of wood to use as an oar.

<ooc> can anyone remember if this chest has been unlocked/opened/searched yet?
21 August 2012 at 13:46 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek <ooc> I don’t believe so, I was intending to do it once I’d retrieved my axe, and we all know how THAT went!! lol!!>
21 August 2012 at 13:53 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Dalias and Garm kneel before the lock of the chest to examine it. A look is exchanged between them, unspoken understanding that they are both professionally trained and experienced in the art of opening locks without the proper key.
“Do you think its trapped?” asks Garm.
“It’s hard to say.” Dalias replies. “Does anybody have a pin?”
“Crowbar!” grunts Bludmud the orc. He orders Bellyrug; “Use cleave.”
Bellyrug steps forward and begins pressing the sharper edge of his cleaver into the crack between the chest body and lid.
“Time to stand back…” Alana says in a very cool voice.
21 August 2012 at 15:12 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Aye, stand back! An give me somethin’ heavy! I seen enough o’ these treasure chest traps to know we could get a nasty surprise poppin oot o’ there!
21 August 2012 at 15:51 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Snugrot the broken nosed orc firmly grips your shoulder and pulls you back away from the chest while Bellyrug levers it with his cleave.

@Everyone: Bellyrug the orc firmly presses down on his cleave with all of his body weight. There is a ‘crack!’ and he falls forward onto his hands and knees. The lid opens! He stands up and in the dim lantern light, everyone sees what an Orcish grin looks like. Quite ghastly.

“Fixed!” he says proudly.
21 August 2012 at 16:42 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm shook off Snugrot’s massive fist, and ran forward to see what the chest contained….
22 August 2012 at 11:15 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff The chest is a hands depth full of flakes of shredded scrolls, slightly damp, that have compressed into a solid ‘cardboard’. It smells of rodent. The cardboard is riddled with tiny little brown pellets. Sitting on top of the cardboard, and slightly embedded into it, in the center of a green stained indentation, there is the perfect skeleton of the largest rodent any of you have ever seen. Its rib cage is the size of Alana’s fist. Its skull is unusually large too.
The shamen, Jerem and Bludmud, smile greedily at one another. “Dice you for it.” Jerem suggests. Bludmud laughs an evil cackle of Orc glee.
“Later boys, this isn’t the time.” Alana says. She has taken a few steps back after having made a gagging sound at the smell and sight of the chest interior.
“Okay get that muck out of there, lets get moving.” Dalias orders curtly. Nobody volunteers.
Jerem leans over and tears the rodent skeleton from the cardboard mulch, it disintegrates into a heap of bones. He and the orc shaman retreat to make space in their pouches for the bones.
Dalias pries the cardboard with the tip of a blade. It lifts easily and stinks of rat urine. “Perhaps we could use it to distract the eels?”
“Or kill ’em.” adds Dalias.
“Leave it by there.” Jasper coughs. He is trying not to breathe. Alana makes an ‘ew’ face.
6 September 2012 at 13:21 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Would it really distract the eels? If we smeared ourselves in it, then swam across? (I could get ma axe back….)
6 September 2012 at 13:25 · Unlike · 1
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Assuming you voice your suggestion, aloud;
Lana stares at you agog, her jaw opening and closing for a moment, her eyes semi-glazed as if in trance. She breaks her reverie and smiles, her eyes still glazed.
“I’d like to see that!” Dalias grins.
Sungrot pushes you. “No!” she demands. “mtoo dangeroush.” She puts her hands on her hips, elbows jutting out at the sides and bars your way, a severe expression on her broken face. You notice that her naturally curving teeth are pointing outward toward the left and right, an unexpected consequence of the punch you landed upon her earlier. Her nose is still looking badly sunken even for an Orc whose brutal but rapid regeneration abilities are frequently under-rated.
Several more mumbled comments about oiling dwarves are made while the group drag the chest to the water and get it afloat. It does just about float.
“Whose in first?” asks Jasper. “Two for the other side.”
6 September 2012 at 18:50 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem, shaman
“The two least going to fight each other, least to wander off by themselves and make trouble, but most to survive it.”
@ Garm; “How do you feel now?”

<ooc>
@Gamekeeper: this riddle has kept me going for many days.
3 orcs, a cowardly orc-fearing scholar, a barmaid, two rogues, a dwarf and a human shaman. 9 people and room for 3 in the boat; and somebody has to row back for the next trip.

Obviously the orcs will fight if left alone, Jasper can’t be left alone with an orc, the big problem is who should row?

Capable of rowing:
Thurgrim, Jerem, Bludmud, Dalias, perhaps Garm.
Each should take a turn.
This is going to take 4 trips.

9—-0 start
6-1-2 first
4-1-4 second
2-1-6 third
--9 fourth

Figure out who 2 should be left on 1st trip and who 2 should be left on last trip and the rest will fall into place. Need fighters up front and in rear.

Clever bit; leave Thurgrim and Snugrot at rear where we know the terrain is more familiar and safer, then they can spar like they mentioned before.

I would put Jasper on the second trip so he can study whatever is found up ahead, feeling safe with 3 others around him, preferably fighters he knows, Dalias, Jerem and Belyrug.

6 Thurgrim (rows) Belyrug & Jerem
4 Garm & Dalias & Jasper (Dalias rows out, Garm returns)
2 (Snugrot & Thurgrim) -Bludmud (rows)
Alana & Garm
Jerem returns to collect Thurgrim & Snugrot, either Jerem or Thurgrim row back.

Jerem suggests this order.
7 September 2012 at 00:19 · Like · 1
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Okay thats the plan then, nice one!

Several LUCK tests still have to be made;

Thurgrim, Thurgrim, Dalias, Garm, Bludmud, Jerem, then either Jerem or Thurgrim to make another roll depending who rows the final trip.

Jerem has already failed his first luck roll so we shall have to wait and see what happens.

Here are the LUCK test results for Dalias (currently NPC), Garm and Bludmud (in that order):
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3686732/
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
8 September 2012 at 10:10 · Like · Remove Preview
Jenny Saari
Jenny Saari <ooc> Dalias tests his LUCK again: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3697403/
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
16 September 2012 at 12:16 · Like · 1 · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Dalias:
okay so thats a failed LUCK roll.
My apologies, I had forgotten that I already rolled these rolls (above). I will allow this as a PASS (see roll made for NPC Dalias), just this once, to welcome you back Jenny grin emoticon

@Thurgrimm:
Please make either 2 or 3 LUCK rolls depending on if you are rowing the final trip (see previous post for rowing order).

@Jerem:
Please make either 2 or 3 LUCK rolls depending on if it is yourself or Thurgrimm who is to make the final trip.

<ooc>
I am basing this on principle of ‘ships captain = ships luck’ for each trip. Whoever is in charge of rowing the boat with the plank/oar, is captain for that journey. Only if the boat sinks will other characters require to make LUCK rolls with the blood eels.

This is to minimize dice rolling, to speed the story up.
The other option is for the GM to do ALL of the dice rolling in one go as happened in the scene with checking who had caught the plague LUCK test. Personally I prefer the players to feel they are having an input by being ‘the one rolling the dice’ as well as your text input.

The floor slopes gently downward into the water which means that the party members must wade out into the blood eel infested water, pushing the boat, before they can climb into it. This is essentially what the LUCK test is for; to see which group gets attacked by Blood Eels for an automatic 2 points of STAMINA damage while they are in the water.

The second reason for the LUCK tests is because the chest used as a boat with the weight of three men (or dwarfs, or orcs) in it, you can imagine brings the top of the chest pretty much close to the top of the water level. There is not enough room in the chest to swab out any water that spills into it, over the top or through any holes that it might very well have.

For every failed LUCK test; water spills into the boat and it begins to sink. Due to reasons to follow it is only possible to upturn the chest to empty it at the ‘start’ end of the tunnel where the floor slopes. Therefore flooding is cumulative for the out and return trips. Please see maths.

I have not tried this experiment at home, so my apologies if it turns out that this scale is unrealistic. Perhaps the gravity and physics are different on Allansia where magic exists therefore Imagination plays a stronger part in how reality functions than it does on planet earth. Theater is preferable to Realism, obviously.

If anybody thinks it is a better idea to cross the water two people at a time, now is the time to suggest it – and please also indicate some alternative party order.

reasons to follow
The far end of the tunnel is not a sloping tunnel but a set of ascending steps. Dragging the chest up the steps, eg; to tip out any water it contains, is totally impractical.

maths
Empty boat: chest’s edge is 5 inches above the waterline.
This is reduced by 1 inch per passenger.
This is reduced by 1 inch for every failed LUCK test.

If this distance = zero, the boat sinks. Further LUCK test will be required to ascertain exactly ‘where’ it sinks.

Boat may be tilted and emptied of water at the ‘start’ of the tunnel where it slopes.

It is a heavy chest that took Thurgrim some serious effort to haul down here, he had to use rollers; so a Special Skill Strength test or normal SKILL -2 will be required to tip it.
16 September 2012 at 12:51 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem Stoneskull, shaman

3 LUCK test results:
3, 9, 4 = Pass, Fail, Pass

Jerems LUCK score is now (6)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3697430/
16 September 2012 at 13:10 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
We are waiting on your LUCK rolls, either 2 or 3.
Remember to reduce your score by 1 between each roll.

@Joy:
You have rolled 4 times now, in this order;
epic fail, pass, fail, pass.
You only need to make 1 rolls, or perhaps 2, depending on if Thurgrimm wants to do the final trip.
16 September 2012 at 13:19 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek ooc- I’ll do the final trip!!
18 September 2012 at 11:36 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3700112/

My luck rolls wink emoticon
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
18 September 2012 at 11:41 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm: so that’s Fail, Pass, Fail.

@Everyone: …See More
Roll Dice
This die roller is based on the excellent OpenRPG, and uses exactly the same options.If you know how to use dice in OpenRPG, you know how…
invisiblecastle.com
18 September 2012 at 12:28 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3700138/

Here are my rolls, based off my skill of 7…See More
Roll Lookup
© 2012 Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written by SolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to our…
invisiblecastle.com
18 September 2012 at 12:32 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
You beat Snugrot in all but the 6th Combat round. Your STAMINA is reduced by 1. Snugrots STAMINA is reduced to 1; as soon as she hits you she stands back and declares that is the end of the spar for now because she is too beat up. She droops herself upon you, wrapping her arm around yours and making sure you know how awe inspiring she finds you. Orcs are not known for their soppy behaviour, the closest she comes is to pin you to the wall and give you an unblinking orcish smile. “Shnugrot find Furgrimms axe.” She declares.
18 September 2012 at 12:45 · Like · 1
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Aye, er, thank ye! Er, Jus’ watch yer guardin’, when defendin’ from a back hander!
18 September 2012 at 12:46 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm, rummages through his belongings, and takes another hunk off his bread in his pack, chewing deliberately and smearing Orc blood and his own drool and crumbs from his beard.
18 September 2012 at 12:48 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Everyone: THE FAR SHORE / the Portcullis

The party have been deposited on steps leading up to a short tunnel. By the time they are assembled, the party have set up a brief camp in the tunnel.

The tunnel features a half-open portcullis, dangling from which is an armour clad skeleton, missing its head. Small sturdy spikes at the bottom edge of the portcullis have pierced the skeletons ribcage. It also has a dry old leather backpack hanging beneath it. There is a rusty old blade on the floor beneath it and a long extinguished rag& oil torch.

The party decide not to touch it until everybody is present, and to get their breath back after the crossing.
18 September 2012 at 12:51 · Like · 1
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Right, is everyone here? Let’s go find ma axe!!!
20 September 2012 at 14:18 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff “Somebody should, clear that, thing out of the way.” Lana distastefully refers to the headless skeleton hanging from the half-raised portcullis beneath which you will have to stoop to progress any further.
20 September 2012 at 19:57 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem Stoneskull, shaman
“Possible it is the only thing holding the gate up?”
Jerem peers at the portcullis using a lantern, without putting his head too close. He is specifically looking for whatever is obstructing it.
20 September 2012 at 22:10 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Jerem:
You cannot see anything obviously obsructing the portcullis. The dead adventurer is not touching any of the grooves in the wall to either side where something might possibly get lodged, nor the slot in the ceiling through which the portcullis gate drops and is raised.
20 September 2012 at 23:00 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Then let’s be smart aboot this!! Everyone, grab yer stuff, and get on the other side o’ the gate!

Thrugrimm herded the rest fo the party to the opposite side of teh portcullis from where they made landfall, and then when everyone was safely able to continue down the passage, checked to see if anyone wanted to carry the torch?
21 September 2012 at 10:26 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Lana makes squealing noises about the dried corpse and is unwilling to pass beneath it. The rest of the group pressure her into it and of course it drops onto her as she darts below. She lands sprawled on the floor on the far side, screaming and flailing her arms and legs and having an epic panic attack. Parts of the dried corpse are thrown all over the place.

Somebody needs to make a SKILL or more appropriate Special Skill roll to try and pacify her.
www.invisiblecastle.com/roller

ALSO:

I forgot to mention before about how, during the boat crossing, Jasper kept on stopping the boat so that he could read certain parts of the mosaic wall, occasionally muttering; “interesting.” and “ah, so that’s it.” and “hmm, puzzling.” and similar phrases. He seems detatched afterward as he digests and muses upon the information he has gleaned from the mosaic.
Roll Dice
This die roller is based on the excellent OpenRPG, and uses exactly the same options.If you know how to use dice in OpenRPG, you know how…
invisiblecastle.com
21 September 2012 at 14:12 · Like · 1 · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek <ooc> I’m the nearest so it best be me!! wink emoticon

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3710489/

score of 14!
Roll Lookup
© 2012Kroozio LLC, all rights reserved. Written bySolidSiteSolutions, Dynamic Designs, Optimized.By using this site you are agreeing to…
invisiblecastle.com
26 September 2012 at 12:20 · Like · Remove Preview
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
you don’t add your SKILL to the 2d6 for doing tests, you try to roll equal or less than the SKILL value on 2d6. Which means you succeed in calming Lana down. I’m not even going to imagine your methodology. …See More
27 September 2012 at 21:35 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm takes a swig of the Dwarven Ale himself, belches (so it echoes, causing everyone to look at him in disgust and shush him), and walks over to Jasper..

Thurgrimm: So what have we here, manling? anythin’ o’ any use?
28 September 2012 at 12:56 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Jasper neatly assembles the items from the rotted backpack in a row for everybody to see. The dead adventurer wore half-plate armour, which is now scattered around the tunnel.

-chestplate, shins and bracers, visor helm.

His kit also contains;
- A shortsword, slightly rusted.
- A rotting leather pouch containing 6 small, multifaceted gemstones; three blue, three red.
- An indented medallion on a leather thong, that is scorched black. It is marked with a rune.
- A soft, worn leather scroll, inked with lots of interweaving runes.
- A tinderbox, slightly rusted, functional, containing flint and some tinder.
- 3 thick stubby candles.
- A bronze winch handle.

Belyrug the orc argues fiercely that it is not a winch handle but a weapon and is eagerly willing to demonstrate his point. Bludmud pulls rank and tells him to earn it by proving his bravery next time they meet something to fight. Belyrug growls but concedes, taking instead the chestplate which Snugrot helps him to put on.
28 September 2012 at 13:46 · Like · 1
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm picks up the medallion, and appears to be attempting to remember the rune that appears on it.

Thurgrimm: it looks like it were Dwarfish, but there are elements of it I cannae make oot!
28 September 2012 at 13:48 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Jasper studies the animal skin scroll.
“The same rune appears here, also. I have seen some of these on the mosaic too.”
He rotates the animal skin scroll to examine it from every direction.
“I say!” He exclaims abruptly, and rather loudly. “This is a map!”

https://www.facebook.com/…
Gamekeeper Fbaff’s photo.
Gamekeeper Fbaff
28 September 2012 ·

animal skin scroll
from SCENE 9 – Chalice catacombs
https://www.facebook.com/…/12454527089…/doc/376742385679457/
28 September 2012 at 13:52 · Like · Remove Preview
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: A map o’ where? Does it match the map ye have already?
28 September 2012 at 13:53 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Alana, still trying to make her legs work, shouts; “ish notta map, isha hankersheaf! mean I isha tattoo. (hic)”
Garm peers at it. “It doesn’t look like a map to me either. Those are runes. It’s writing of some sort. Looks like a spell to me.”
Jasper answers Thurgrimm: “I’m not sure. In a word, no.”
28 September 2012 at 13:57 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Is it Elvish then?
28 September 2012 at 14:01 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Jasper: “Not any dialect of Elvish I have seen, although there are many. I have never seen writing exactly like this before.”

“I av.” announces Snugrot.
“Shut up Snugrot you liar.” Says Belyrug who backhands her across the chin.
Snugrot snarls and lashes out at him with both hands. Unfortunately his new breastplate deflects her blow and she sprawls into a whimpering heap on the floor.
“Snugrot is a liar and a coward!” Belyrug puffs his chest out until Bludmud knee’s him between the legs causing him to double over in pain.
28 September 2012 at 14:05 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm moves over to Belyrug, pushing Bludmud out of the way. He roughly pulls the Orc forward til they are face to face.

Thrugrimm: You do that tae her agen, an ye’ll be needin a whole tribe oh yer filthy Orcs tae pick yer head from oot yer arse!!!

throwing Belyrug back to the cavern floor, Thrugrimm helps Snugrot to her feet,

Thrugrimm: Go on lassie, speak. Where ha’ ye seen this rune before?
28 September 2012 at 14:12 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Belyrug growls and stares evil beady eyes at Thurgrimm. They glow red in the darkness. It is quite obvious he is making a decision to kill the Dwarf at the earliest opportunity. Then he skulks off into the gloom at the far end of the tunnel.

Snugrot points toward the far end of the tunnel. To the Humans it is in darkness but to those with night vision; Dwarves, Orcs, can see the outline shape of a smooth stone doorway, an oval with the bottom folded at a right angle into the stone of the floor.

At the apex of the doorway is carved a rune identical to the large rune in the center of the animal skin scroll, and at the top right corner.

“By there.” huffs Snugrot.
She folds her arms and pouts. Then after a moment she brightens up and looks at her savior Thurgrimm with renewed admiration.
28 September 2012 at 14:19 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Well, what’re waitin fer, yer pussies!! Let’s get movin!!
28 September 2012 at 14:25 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff “Wait a minute!” Jasper waves his arms excitedly, the animal skin in one hand. He puts his knapsack down and retrieves the original, old map which has led you into the catacombs. “I want to check on a few things first.” He announces. "Dwarf, that medal…See More
28 September 2012 at 15:33 · Like
Joy Freeman
Joy Freeman Jerem Stoneskull, shaman
“Quick! Put that armour under the gate!”
28 September 2012 at 22:21 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Dalias is quick and retrieves the helm, shin guards and bracers, and lodges them into the niches in the wall that the portcullis slides down. “That should hold it if it drops any more!” He grins.

There is now a three foot gap between the spiked bottom of the portcullis and the floor. There is a groove in the stone slabs of the floor which the bottom of the portcullis slots into.

Jasper takes a lantern over to the door at the far end and examines the rune above it. “Hmm.” He says. “I wonder what it means.”

The chamber beyond is dark. The scholar raises the lantern to cast some light through. It remains dark. “A volunteer is required to explore beyond this doorway.” announces Jasper.
1 October 2012 at 11:30 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Jasper, bring yoor wee map o’er here. I wanna try something!

Thurgrimm places the medallion in tot he hole in the map, so that Jasper can hoepfully make more sense of it.
1 October 2012 at 13:59 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff @Thurgrimm:
Jasper unfolds the original map;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=255966997789980&set=o.124545270899171&type=3&theater

You place the medallion in the burn edged hole.
It fits perfectly.

Jasper points to the square room marked ‘party culling room’ next to the hole. “Through that door marked with the odd rune…” he points at the door he was examining; “…is the room indicated by this strange medallion.” He makes a nasal laugh.

There is a sound from the other side of the doorway. A moist breeze blows from the dark room. The sound was that of an Orc plummeting from the lip of a chasm, followed a moment later by a muffled splash.

“Belyrug drownded.” announces Snugrot somberly.

Nobody else has yet dared enter through the ominous portal.
1 October 2012 at 14:55 · Like
Pete Kijek
Pete Kijek Thurgrimm takes back the medallion for the moment, continuing to wear it, and races over (as fast as a dwarf’s legs can go) to the entranceway, attempting to peer into/down through the doorway.

Thurgrimm: Seems party culling room instead’ae portcullis room was entirely appropriate?
1 October 2012 at 15:05 · Like
Gamekeeper Fbaff
Gamekeeper Fbaff Thurgrimm: The party are holding various candles and lanterns on this side of the door so that you can only see a few feet into the chamber beyond. There appears to be two foot wide flagstones on the other side of the door, before some designs engraved into the floor. You cannot see the whole pattern only that there are concentric circles containing runes. You cannot see the ceiling; there is nothing but darkness overhead, in front and to either side. The air is moist and your Dwarf senses tell you that there is a lot of hollow space around here. 2 October 2012 at 23:10 · Like Pete Kijek Pete Kijek Thurgrimm: Jasper, get yer arse over here an' come look at these wee runes on the floor, see if there's anythin' ye recognise... 3 October 2012 at 12:39 · Like Gamekeeper Fbaff Gamekeeper Fbaff &lt;ooc>Pete:
Okay so if the party are now entering the next room beyond the Party Culling Room, then it is time to move along to the next scene.

SCENE 19 – Chalice Temple
https://www.facebook.com/groups/124545270899171/#!/groups/124545270899171/doc/476915692328792/

SCENE 9 - Chalice Catacombs

Advanced Fighting Fantasy Gamekeeper